08 December, 2009

namesake


Not many get my name right at the first go... everyone feels proud about their names and that too if it’s unique... I would've felt even better if it was easy (for others)...


few find my name unique... but many find it as a tongue-twister... from kinder-garden till my post-graduation, I ve struggled with this... 8 / 10 to whom I talk for the first time and introduce myself as "MIRNALINI", I hear this repeatedly "come again please”... mir-naa-lee-ni... :-) I give them a fake smile… few over enthusiastic ppl ask me what does it mean…


My mind voice: go google it if you are so bloody interested …


But not wanting to be rude (that’s so hard for me) I start explaining.



Another irritating question, “Who named you?”


My mind voice: who else will? The one who was responsible for my conception…


Yet again I try and answer patiently... – My dad :-) fake smile


My sister herself found it too difficult to call me mir-naa-lee-ni every time …Einstein she was, started calling me by a name I hate even more… minu (I find it more like a pets' name rather than a pet name…)



few from the northern parts of India get my name right in the first go, but another irritating question there- are you Bengali? Wheatish/dusky skinned and flat features on my face, and a name like mir-naa-lee-ni to accompany it, am easily mistaken for a Bengali…


My mind voice: no from misoram


Patience and fake smile again: no … south Indian, tamilian


And few too intelligent things start telling ME that,” hey yaar its not mir-naa-lee-ni, but mri-naa-lee-ni or mru-naa-lee-ni….. Oh, Dad now I hate you for this…


Fake smile again… yes… dad misspelled it in my birth certificate and so am

mir-naa-lee-ni … :-) smiling….really

10 comments:

  1. if it helps i've never called u minu...somehow i've gone with mirna :P do i get candy for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup nets..u do... :) not many call me mirna.. i find that lot better than minu(yuks)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mirna is actually a good name- dnt worry- very few people get my name right :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah thanks... and btw..what does your name mean??

    ReplyDelete
  5. :D.. I find ur posts so interesting. When i first wanted to try my hand at blogging, i wanted to start off talking about my name and language, my name has a babu, people think i m a GULTI! and my mother tongue is something called sourashtra and the first thing ppl ask is "R u from gujarat?"! I cant do anything about it, ppl pop up with the same set of questions even now. :(.

    Ur name IS difficult to pronounce, it wud be easier if it was mrunalini/mrinalini seriously :P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @karthikbabu... thank you so much,,..very encouraging

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi mints!....i asked sanskrit teacher for the meaning ..... lol ... it was during eleventh std.....i asked you too one day ...i guess so, -balaji.o

    ReplyDelete
  8. :D did we really talk during that time...i dunno..and whats up with this cocobalaji thing???

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahah...well said..
    will forward this to my sister...
    Same probs to her also....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am dilip sister... If you say it is difficult for indians think about americans..They try to call me myru...nalini(which in my lang its called hair... :()so now i shorten for them to miru so now wherever i give my first name is miru or i will show my id...

    ReplyDelete